The new Portomarín was created in the mid-twentieth century in the mount of Cristo on the right bank of the river Miño. Old Portomarín sleeps under Belesar dam waters. The villa moved to Monte do Cristo due to dam construction.
The monumental heritage was moved stone by stone to its present location. They moved the churches of San Nicolas, San Pedro and some sixteenth-century manors.
Today, the primitive village is under Belesar dam waters, whose works started in the year of 1956. Its tail, over 40 km, submerge for ever this town. The new Portomarin was born in 1962.